Refine your search
Add to shortlist button.
Visit one of the UK's oldest gaols, dating back to the 12th century. See the original cells and discover the fate of the thieves, smugglers, witches, pirates and murderers who were confined here. Use the free audio guide to hear the gaoler and his prisoners describe their experiences.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Thu 21 Jul - Sun 4 Sep 2016||Mon - Fri 10:00 to 16:00 | Sun 10:00 to 16:00|
|Thu 8 - Sun 11 Sep 2016||Thu - Sun 10:00 to 16:00|
|Sun 23 - Sun 30 Oct 2016||Mon - Fri 10:00 to 16:00 | Sun 10:00 to 16:00|
Mon to Fri 10am-4pm and Sun 10am-4pm during Norfolk school holidays only (closed most Saturdays unless specified otherwise - please check before visiting) plus additional dates/times listed.
Evening opening on:
13 May 2016 (evening 6-10pm) & 28 October 2016 (evening 6-10pm) for Museums at Night events.
31 October 2016 (5-7pm) for Halloween event.
2016 Admission Prices:
Museum Pass holders and under 4s free.
Adult £3.70, Conc £3.50
Young Person (4-18) £3.00, Under 4’s FREE
2 Adults + all children £12.60
1 Adult + all children £9.40
Twilight ticket (1 hour before closing) £1.00
Discount for groups, telephone 01493 743943 (non schools) 01493 743944 (schools).
TG 524072 52.60430 1.72743
From the A47 : At Vauxhall roundabout take 2nd exit. At next roundabout take 3rd exit and follow signs for Historic South Quay.
Pay & display parking available nearby.
- Coach parties accepted
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for groups
- Facilities for educational visits
- Gift shop
- Accepts groups
- Children welcome
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Smoking not allowed
- Facilities for hearing impaired
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- The surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- is solid
- The route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- From the entrance to reception / ticket area
- To the gift shop
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Lift equipped with raised floor numbers or braille numbers or letters
- Contrast markings on clear surfaces such as glass doors
- Visitor information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Visitor information available in audio format
- Steps to the main entrance
- 12Number of steps to entrance
- Handrail by steps
- Entrance is well lit